A dear prudence dressSeptember 18, 2015
I started this Dear Prudence dress about three months ago when I was amidst making samples for my pattern. I didn't really need to make this one for testing, but I was keen to try a solid colour. It has sat without sleeves over my sewing chair for too long, so I finally finished it off before Juliette grew too much taller!
This dress was intended to have the three quarter sleeves, but since it is now spring, I decided to make some little capped sleeves instead (the pattern comes with an integrated capped sleeve). I used a rusty caramel brown broad cloth I picked up from spotlight and paired it with cream piping and buttons. I used some lovely vintage orange floral for the lining.
I finished this dress yesterday and Juliette wore it for the day, which included going to swimming lessons. As she was about to walk up the steps into the gym, I noticed she was the same colour as the wall!! Had to take a photo (but only had my phone). So today, she wore it again (to swimming - for Issie's lesson) and I brought my camera.
I was lazy and omitted the back elastic and instead let the back just sit freely. I like it this way too - and it probably saves about twenty minutes of pinning, sewing and elastic threading.
I think essex linen would look very similar to the fabric I have used for this dress (it does crease a bit as you can see). Here is a similar shade if you like the colour!
Incidentally, I put up the wallpaper in the photo below in our bedroom last week. Our room has had a big makeover (it had not been touched since it was built 38 years ago) and it is so nice! A nice backdrop for photos too.