A bee dressApril 01, 2015
I made this dress about six months ago for Isabella and am only today finally getting around to photographing and blogging about it. Isabella has worn this dress many times since about September last year.
The fabrics are from the lovely etsy shop, Miss Matatabi. The bee print is for the Mustang line by Melody Miller. You can also buy it in a denim blue colourway which I think is actually even lovely than this one. I have forgotten the name of the cream watercolour spot print (oops), but I think it is a lovely match with the bee print.
I drafted the pattern myself. I wanted to experiment with the bodice/skirt seam by sewing the skirt on the outside of the bodice to create a little frill above the seam. I finished the top of the skirt with a small zig zag along the edge before I gathered the skirt. This method took a lot of pins and I had to be careful to get the seam straight, but it was not difficult. The front bodice is divided with diaganol lines and the back of the dress closes with an invisible zip.
The dress also has big pockets at the bottom - which I frequently empty of bark, feathers and beads before throwing this dress in the wash. The beautiful tree Isabella is standing in front of below is one of our two pomegranate trees. This one didn't fruit, but our bigger one did - I need to know what to do with pomegranates!
Isabella is sitting on one of our spotted gums in the photo below - it grows horizontally from a cut stump and has created our 'trampoline tree'!
I think Isabella's dimples might break some hearts in the future (proud Mum)...