Juliette's quilt Part II: BastingJune 01, 2013
So my 'Part I' post for Juliette's quilt was written exactly six months ago...oops. I find it hard to resist the pull of starting a new project, so am not a very dedicated quilter. Juliette is not going cold though. She has a doona on her bed, but her quilt has been in my 'to do' pile for quite some time!
I ran into trouble when I realised I would run out of the main red and white floral fabric about half way through creating the quilt top (that's making it up as you go along for you!) The print is many years old and I was not even going to try to match it. So the top and bottom of the quilt have a panel of vintage cream, orange and brown floral. It doesn't really match, but I think once it is on the bed and quilted and bound - it will still work.
It has been a rainy day here in Melbourne. I resisted putting the TV on for the kids til about 2.00pm, but then as they settled in for a movie, I decided to quickly get to work pin basting Juliette's quilt while Emily slept. I just used regular pins - placing them in areas which I will mostly not sew over. I think I will machine quilt straight diagonal lines through the squares. Hopefully it will be on her bed within a week or two. It will be great to get it finished.